Sending Office: Honorable Eddie Bernice Johnson
Support Bipartisan House Resolution Recognizing National Nurses Week
Deadline for Originals: COB Monday, May 4, 2020
Endorsed by: American Nurses Association
Please join Reps. Eddie Bernice Johnson and Dave Joyce in cosponsoring this bipartisan resolution recognizing National Nurses Week for May 6-12, 2020. The Senate companion is led by Sens. Jeff Merkley (D-OR) and Roger Wicker (R-MS).
This resolution expresses support for the goals and ideals of National Nurses Week and recognizes the contributions of nurses to the U.S. health care system.
This resolution highlights the contributions of our nation’s nurses, among which are that:
- Nurses represent the largest segment of the healthcare workforce, with an estimated population of more than 4,000,000 registered nurses in the United States.
- Nurses serve on the front lines, risking their lives treating the injured and sick during wartime, natural disasters, and pandemics, including the COVID–19 pandemic.
- In 2020, National Nurses Week falls within the International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife, as designated by the World Health Organization.
- When nurse staffing levels increase, the risk of patient complications and length of hospital stays decrease, resulting in cost savings.
- Nurses are the cornerstone of the public health infrastructure, promoting healthy lifestyles and educating communities on disease prevention and health promotion.
- Nurses have been voted as the Nation’s most honest and ethical profession for the past 17 years.
Please join us in this effort to recognize National Nurses Week. To cosponsor or for more information, please contact Tonia Wu in Rep. Johnson’s office at Tonia.Wu@mail.house.gov or Burke Smith in Rep. Dave Joyce’s
office at Burke.Smith@mail.house.gov.
Eddie Bernice Johnson, Member of Congress
David P. Joyce, Member of Congress
e-Dear Colleague version 2.0