Sending Office: Honorable Vicky Hartzler
I write to invite you to cosponsor H. Res. 493, a resolution to condemn the persecution of Christians in China and encourage the U.S. government, international community, and faith leaders to act in support of those who are being targeted for their faith.
The Chinese government is systematically targeting individuals of faith and severely restricting religious activities across its country. Chinese authorities are closing and destroying churches, installing surveillance equipment on church property, arbitrarily
detaining and torturing those who practice the Christian faith, and forcing the modification of Christian teachings to conform with the objectives of the Communist Party. The actions of the Chinese government are unjust, and the United States cannot ignore
these attempts to intimidate believers and eradicate Christians from China.
As a nation built on the fundamental principle of the freedom of religion, the United States must shed light on this persecution and speak for those in China who have no voice. Specifically, my resolution calls on the U.S. government to:
- Strengthen religious freedom diplomacy;
- Ensure trade negotiations include religious freedom conditions;
- Impose sanctions on Chinese officials accountable for their complicity in violations of human rights;
- Raise cases relating to religious prisoners at the highest levels with Chinese officials;
- Develop an action plan to employ religious freedom programming.
If you are interested in cosponsoring or would like additional information, please contact Chrissi Lee in my office at
e-Dear Colleague version 2.0