Sending Office: Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission
Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission Briefing
Co-Hosted by the House Democracy Partnership
Parliamentarians at Risk Around the World
Thursday, September 19, 2019
10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
H-313 Capitol Building
Rules Committee Hearing Room
Please join the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission and the House Democracy Partnership for a
briefing on parliamentarians at risk around the world.
In the face of growing authoritarianism across the globe, parliamentarians who carry out their duties and raise their voices on behalf of their constituencies are suffering reprisals. In 2018, the Committee on the Human Rights of Parliamentarians of the
Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) processed 564 cases of requests for redress for members of parliament who had been intimidated, attacked, jailed or killed – the highest caseload in the Committee’s 40-year history.
Panelists will describe their first-hand experiences as parliamentarians at risk or their family members and share their recommendations for responding to a growing threat that targets the legislative heart of democratic political systems.
- Rep. James P. McGovern, Co-Chair, TLHRC
- Rep. David Price, Chair, House Democracy Partnership
- Delsa Solórzano, Vice President, IPU Committee on the Human Rights of Parliamentarians and member, Venezuelan National Assembly
- Hisyar Ozsoy, member, Grand National Assembly, Turkey
- Vicente de Lima, brother of detained Filipino Senator Leila De Lima
- Gabriela Cuevas Barrón, IPU President and member, Congress of the Union, Mexico
- Mary Milliken, Foreign Policy Editor, Reuters
This briefing will be open to Members of Congress, congressional staff, the interested public and the media. For questions, please contact
Kimberly Stanton at 202-225-3599 (for TLHRC Co-Chair McGovern) or
Piero Tozzi at 202-225-3765 (for TLHRC Co-Chair Smith).
James P. McGovern Christopher H. Smith
Member of Congress Member of Congress
Co-Chair, TLHRC Co-Chair, TLHRC
e-Dear Colleague version 2.0