Sending Office: Honorable Rosa L. DeLauro
A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Dietary Guidelines
Location: 2103 RHOB
Date: April 30
Time: 1-2 pm
As chair of the Baby Caucus, I would like to invite you and your staff to a briefing held in cooperation with Senator Murray to learn more about the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2020-2025. The guidelines are reviewed and updated every five years since
1990. These recommendations greatly influence federal, state and local nutrition programs, as well as industry practices. The purpose of the guidelines is to promote eating habits and active lifestyles that improve the health of all Americans. This year the
guidelines will include recommendations for babies and pregnant mothers for the first time
Please join us for a behind-the-scenes look at how the 2020–2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans are being developed, the impact of the recommendations on federal policies and programs, and what to expect in the coming edition, including:
- How substantial are the changes in nutrition advice?
- The guidelines’ impact on federal programs, including the WIC program and the National School Lunch and Breakfast programs.
- Explanation of new nutritional guidelines for pregnant women, infants, and young children.
We welcome Congressional staff, interns, and advocacy groups to engage with the following speakers for an in-depth discussion of HHS and USDA’s new nutritional guidelines:
- Rosa L. DeLauro, Opening remarks
- Angela Amico, MPH, Center for Science in the Public Interest
- Darlena Birch, MBA, RDN, National WIC Association
- Kelly Horton, MS, RD, Sustainable Food Policy Alliance
Should you have any questions, please contact Maria Pfund (firstname.lastname@example.org) in my office at 202-225-3661.
Rosa L. DeLauro
Member of Congress
e-Dear Colleague version 2.0