Sending Office: Honorable Tom O’Halleran
Become a Cosponsor – Government Shutdown Impact Report Act
Deadline: 10 AM FRIDAY
Today marks Day 20 of the reckless government shutdown that continues to affect communities across our nation and our economy. The forced shutdown for political gain has a substantial impact on the lives of millions of Americans.
In 2013, the government shutdown lasted sixteen days and cost our economy an estimated $24 billion, according to Standard and Poor’s Ratings Services.
When Washington refuses to act, the American people deserve to know how much it’s costing them. Taxpayers and lawmakers ought to know exactly how much each passing day of inaction costs our communities and our nation’s bottom line.
That’s why I introduced the Government Shutdown Impact Report Act of 2019. My bill requires the Congressional Budget Office to submit daily reports on the impact and cost of the shutdown, including:
- An estimate of the economic output lost on that day as the result of the government shutdown.
- An estimate of any decrease in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the quarter that will occur as the result of the government shutdown.
- The value of any assistance, including loans, grants, and contracts, that the Small Business Administration (SBA) was unable to provide as a result of the government shutdown.
- The amount of any revenue for the National Park Service that was lost on that day as the result of the government shutdown.
- An estimate of revenue lost on that day because of the effects of the government shutdown on tourism and travel to and within the United States.
Please contact Xenia Ruiz (Xenia.Ruiz@mail.house.gov) in my office to become a cosponsor of this commonsense bill.
Member of Congress
e-Dear Colleague version 2.0