Sending Office: Honorable Gerald E. Connolly
Deadline: 4pm TODAY
Current signers: Connolly, Beyer
Please join me in sending a letter to President Trump urging him to raise the issue of my constituent Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance with the highest levels of the Saudi and Turkish governments, and requesting that the President help establish an independent
investigation into his disappearance.
Jamal Khashoggi is a Virginia resident and internationally renowned journalist. Last week, he visited the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain routine paperwork for his upcoming marriage. There has been no confirmation that he departed the consulate.
Over the weekend, anonymous Turkish sources said that a group of 15 Saudi officials traveled to Istanbul and murdered Mr. Khashoggi when he visited the Saudi consulate. Saudi officials have denied these allegations, and maintain that Mr. Khashoggi left the
consulate after his visit, but neither Saudi Arabia nor Turkey have provided further evidence to support these claims.
To join me in sending this letter to President Trump, please email Molly Cole at
by 4pm today.
Dear Mr. President,
We write to urge you to raise the issue of Virginia resident Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance and welfare with King of Saudi Arabia Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud and Turkish President Recep Tayyip
Erdogan. If necessary, we also request that you help establish an independent investigation into his disappearance.
As you know, Mr. Khashoggi is an internationally renowned journalist, and as a columnist for the Washington Post, he is a valued and respected member of the United States media. In fact, Mr. Khashoggi was granted an O-1 visa, which is reserved for those
with “extraordinary ability in the fields of science, education, business or athletics…indicating that the person is one of the small percentage o who has risen to the very top of the field of endeavor.”
On October 2, 2018, Mr. Khashoggi visited the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in order to obtain paperwork related to his upcoming marriage, while his Turkish fiancé waited outside. Reportedly, there has been no confirmation that he departed the consulate.
According to President Erdogan, the Justice Ministry and the chief prosecutor in Istanbul are undertaking an investigation into Mr. Khashoggi’s whereabouts.
On October 6, 2018, anonymous Turkish officials told several news outlets that a group of 15 Saudi officials traveled to Istanbul and carried out a premeditated murder of Mr. Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate. Saudi officials have denied those allegations,
and maintain that Mr. Khashoggi departed the consulate shortly after he visited on October 2. Neither the Saudi nor the Turkish governments have provided any further evidence to support these claims.
These reports demand immediate answers from both Saudi Arabia and Turkey. We urge you to direct the State Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation of Mr. Khashoggi’s case. We sincerely hope that
Mr. Khashoggi emerges unharmed and is free to return safely to the United States.
e-Dear Colleague version 2.0