Sending Office: Honorable Tulsi Gabbard
Cosponsors: Raskin*, Barbara Lee*, Barragan*, Lieu*, Ellison, Schakowsky, Nadler, Gutierrez, Norton, DeLauro, Lofgren, Napolitano, Watson Coleman, DeSaulnier, McGovern, Bass, Hank Johnson, Davis, Espaillat, Rice, Velazquez, Lowey, McCollum,
Suozzi, Cohen, Capuano, Maloney, Crowley, Engel, Jeffries, Waters, Clarke, Meng, Carbajal, Soto, Serrano, Meeks
The OFF Act has been endorsed by more than 400 state and national organizations including: Food & Water Watch, Progressive Democrats of America, National Nurses United, Our Revolution, 350.org, People’s Action,
Climate Justice Alliance, Indigenous Environmental Network, Friends of the Earth, People Demanding Action, Center for Biological Diversity, Climate Hawks Vote, Labor Network for Sustainability, Oil Change International, Physicians for Social Responsibility,
Waterkeeper Alliance, Family Farm Defenders and National Family Farm Coalition.
In response to the ongoing urgent need to address the challenges associated with climate change, I invite you to join me in co-sponsoring the OFF Act which calls for a rapid transition to 100% renewable energy by 2035, with an 80% interim benchmark by 2027.
While the bill recognizes the critical need to move off fossil fuels as soon as possible, it also demands a just transition to a clean energy system by providing protections for threatened environmental justice communities and displaced fossil fuel workers.
The bill calls for an end to fossil fuel subsidies and the offshore tax deferment, which will create billions of dollars in revenue to fund the clean energy revolution that is needed to save our communities and the planet from the dire consequences of the
current climate crisis we all face.
The Off Fossil Fuels for a Better Future Act will:
- Require 100% of electricity sold in the United States to come from clean energy by 2035, with an interim benchmark of 80% by 2027
- Require 100% of car sales from manufacturers be zero-emission vehicles by 2035
- End federal fossil fuel subsidies and put a moratorium on new major fossil fuel projects
- Require elimination of fossil fuels without allowing for interim marketplace avoidance mechanisms like cap and trade
- Provide for a just transition with a focus on environmental and economic justice communities
Please join me in supporting this important legislation needed to quickly transition to 100% renewable energy. For any questions and to co-sponsor please contact Adam Schantz at email@example.com.
e-Dear Colleague version 2.0