Archives

Establishing Beneficiary Equity in the Hospital Readmissions Program (v. 4)

November 30, 2015

The Hospital Readmission Reduction Program (HRRP) was created due to concerns that too few resources were being spent on reducing acute care hospital readmissions.

Combat Iranian Terror: Designate the IRGC as a Terrorist Organization

November 30, 2015

Please join me in cosponsoring H.R. 3646, the bipartisan IRGC Terrorist Designation Act to require the Secretary of State to determine whether the Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) should be designated as a foreign terrorist organization.

Celebrate Discovery and Scientific Thinking: Become a Cosponsor of a Resolution Recognizing February 12th as Darwin Day

November 30, 2015

On February 12, I encourage you to join me in celebrating the birth of one of the fathers of modern scientific thought: Charles Darwin. As we know, Darwin’s theory of evolution by the mechanism of natural selection continues to provide humanity with a logical and intellectually compelling explanation for the diversity of life on Earth. It is important that we honor those who have worked promote science, reason, and the advancement of human knowledge.

Marking World AIDS Day 2015: The Time to Act is NOW

November 30, 2015

December 1 is World AIDS Day, a day to raise awareness of the fight against HIV/AIDS, to reflect on the tremendous progress we have made in our collective response, and to recommit ourselves to fighting the disease here at home and abroad.

Cosponsor the Social Security Administration Accountability Act (v. 4)

November 30, 2015

Over the past five years, the Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated or closed dozens of field offices without providing local communities or Congress sufficient notification or justification. Consequently, communities already suffering from long waits and backlogs are now left with little or no access to services.

Help Stop For-Profit Colleges from Targeting Veterans and Active-Duty Service Members

November 30, 2015

Current law prohibits for-profit colleges and universities from deriving more than 90% of their revenue from the U.S. Department of Education’s federal student aid programs. The other 10% is required to come from sources other than the federal government.

Support SCAAP for Local Governments

November 30, 2015

Please join me in sending a letter to the House Appropriations Committee in support of the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP) during final FY 2016 appropriations deliberations. SCAAP is a grant program that reimburses states and local governments for the cost of incarcerating undocumented immigrants convicted of crimes.

Support the Bi-Partisan Effort for Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Park (v. 2)

November 30, 2015

Please join me in taking an important step to preserve Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy by cosponsoring H.R. 2880, the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historical Park Act of 2015.

Cosponsor The Recovery Enhancement for Addiction Treatment Act (v. 4)

November 30, 2015

The United States is currently facing a severe opioid abuse epidemic. Every day, more than 60 people die due to an overdose of prescription drugs. In 2011, prescription opioid abuse resulted in more than 400,000 emergency department visits and cost health insurers an estimated $72 billion annually in medical costs.

Dear Colleague – UAS Briefing w/ FAA, NASA, Amazon, Google, Verizon – THIS WEDNESDAY

November 30, 2015

As many of you know, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) are the next major frontier for aviation. Every day there are reports of how UAS are being used for innovative commercial and civil applications.