From: The Honorable Renee L. Ellmers
Reminder: Staff Briefing on Nutrition & Medical Foods, Their Affects for Physicians, Patients and Diseases
Ladies and Gentlemen –
I invite you to attend a staff briefing presented by the Nutrition & Medical Foods Coalition (NMFC), regarding the modern medical foods industry. The briefing will be held on TODAY, October 28th, from 2:00-3:00pm, in 1629 Longworth.
Issues to be discussed include:
· What is a medical food: how they are researched, manufactured, and used by physicians and patients
· The future of medical foods within the Food & Drug Administration’s (FDA) regulatory regime.
· Health insurance reimbursement issues
Speaking at the briefing will be:
· Dr. Larry Good – Gastroenterologist and former Chief of Gastroenterology at Lydia E. Hall Hospital in Freeport, NY.
· Wes Siegner, Jr. – Hyman, Phelps & McNamara
NMFC is an ad hoc coalition of companies which support the use of medical foods in the specific dietary management of chronic conditions and diseases for which distinct nutritional requirements have been established by scientific and clinical investigation. The overarching goal of NMFC is to focus industry energy to develop enhanced industry standards, to seek fair federal reimbursement for our products, and embrace science-based “best practices” to enhance our reputation as professional providers of medically important products.
Please email Kristi Thompsonkristi.firstname.lastname@example.org in Rep. Ellmers’ office if you have any quesitons. Thank you.